Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Food From My Frontier



So...I have made a promise that I would write on here a little bit more. I laughed when they told me- what would I write about now that I have left college, stopped travelling to track meets, and am back in my hometown? It seemed like the impossible task to me, but I'm up for the challenge. I'll try to be better, I promise.

I have loved to cook for as long as I remember. When I was younger, I would always help my mom out in the kitchen with her recipes and family meals. When I went away to college, I brought those recipes with me down to Mississippi to make when the mood struck me. Sad to say, I didn't cook very much mostly due to exhaustion, insufficient cooking utensils, and simply lack of motivation. Our apartment would cook for friends on the big holidays and when parents came into town...and that was it. Now that I am back home and have the time to cook, it was finally something that I was looking forward to doing.

This lead me on the search to find some recipes I could try that were out of my comfort zone. I had my usual repertoire of go-to recipes I have learned over the years, but even the cook wants to try something out of the box every once in a while.

And in steps Ree Drummond. When I stumbled upon the Pioneer Woman a few years ago, I knew I had found my cooking "idol". Shes has a wicked sense of humor, takes colorful and vivid pictures of food, and has easy step by step instructions on her website that even the most rookie of a cook couldn't mess up.


I just ordered her newest cookbook online and to say that I couldn't be more excited would be an understatement. Once I receive it and try out a few recipes I'll probably write a review with a few pictures of some of the food I make. If you haven't tried any of her recipes, try them. The first recipe I tried was the chicken and rice soup last winter (recipe found here) and it was a breeze! We ate it for days, so you might think about splitting up some of her recipes because the quantities are so large. Regardless, you can't go wrong.

Happy Monday, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment