Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Meal Inspiration


It happens pretty often that I find myself in a quandary about what to make for dinner. I love and cherish my cookbooks, and always look forward to making new and exciting meals whenever the mood strikes me {disclaimer: I don't try new things very often simply because I am lazy, not because I don't enjoy cooking}. So, the mood hasn't "struck" me very much this fall. I had high hopes of course, planning to make my pumpkin bread, fall themed sugar cookies, and new recipes from my newest cookbook I ordered. None of which have been accomplished.

When every Tuesday and Thursday comes around, the designated "cooking together" nights, I find myself straying back to the same couple of recipes that I grew up with: spaghetti and garlic bread, mushroom chicken with brown rice, beef stroganoff, etc. etc. All deliciously satisfying, don't get me wrong. I don't hear any complaints when were woofing down the entire meal, barely coming up for air. I choose them because they are quick and easy, and require a very small grocery list. Since we live in a small town and have one very tiny grocery store, they are used to seeing me in there all the time. They must think "ugh, this girl again..."
photo cred Tasty Kitchen
When I stumbled across this recipe on who else but my blogger/chef/cookbook mastermind Ree Drummond (are you sick of hearing about her yet!?), I was dying to try it out. First of all, BACON. Enough said. Secondly, I love anything and everything potato. Yes we're barely into the month of October, okay halfway through, but I personally feel its soup season. In fact, I am designating it soup season.   I have been itching for weeks to pull out the crock pot and whip up some delicious soups, stews, roasts but didn't want to jump the gun. Is there such a thing? Doubtful.

So, I have decided that instead of falling into the trap of mushroom chicken and brown rice, we will be making loaded potato soup. Even if it's 70 outside. Yes, it's been unusually warm for this time of the year in northern Indiana and we're dealing with it/loving it. It sure makes the 1/2 marathon training ten times better.

Happy soup/pot roast/chili (I know, a soup)/stew season! Maybe I will get around to that cooking to-do list I always create for myself. It can only improve from here right??

No comments:

Post a Comment